Background

Friday, November 9, 2012

It all started on April 15th, 1983 when I was born into this world. One of my sisters had always wanted a brother. They thought I was going to be a boy. But out I came and surprise! I was a girl. My parents called home and my sister answered the phone. When my mom told her she had a new little sister all she heard was, “Click.” Welcome to the world. I was only a few hours old and had already made my sister mad. If only that had been the last time...
Most people don't even want to imagine what a house full of girls would be like. So let me tell you...it was awesome. I remember the younger years of biting and yelling and driving each other crazy. I even remember a time I was so mad at my sister I wrote mean things all over a page of my journal. Then a few minutes later I tore it out and ripped it to pieces. I just couldn't stay mad at someone I loved so much.
Thinking back on the years floods my mind with memories. Being mistaken for twins and deciding on a birthday so we could just tell people we were. Borrowing my sisters sweater than catching my hair on fire, burning a hole in the shoulder. Being given my own clothes that my sister would take from my closet and wrap up for my birthday. Jumping off the roof into the snow with my big sister and her high school friends. Feeling cool because I was hanging with her. Yelling at my dad because he wasn't coming fast enough when my sister fell off the swing set and broke her arm. Sharing a room and telling jokes late into the night, my sister offering me a dime and then a quarter if I would just be quiet. 

Putting a line of tape down everything in our room to establish which side was mine. Wearing underwear on our heads to bed to keep our curlers from falling out. Cramming into hotel rooms when we were out of town. Being grounded by my sister and actually going to my room like she told me to do. Sitting on the heater vent on cold, winter mornings. My older sister letting us stay up late and jumping over the stair rail when my parents came in the front door. Playing card games. Boys. Frustrating everyone for using all the hot water. Running up the phone bill the first time our parents gave us
our on hotel room when we were on vacation. Going to concerts and games and special events, them always being at mine. Listening to "Summer of 69" while getting ready for school. Being known as so    and so's little sister... feeling special that I was. Sleeping over at my big sisters house when my parents were out of town. Planning parties for my parents birthdays and sharing family vacations. Crying when they left for college. Grateful when they found their man to marry. Praying when their heart was hurt or faced a difficult challenge.
 There is a special strength and security that comes from the love of a sister. I have always looked up to my sisters and wanted to be there for them. I love the life we have shared. Though I don't get to see them much now, I love them everyday. I miss them everyday. I look forward to the times we are together and think of them when we are apart. I want the best for them and their families and pray for that everyday. I wish I could be closer to help them and support them and just spend time together. But knowing we are a family forever is all that really matters. I'm grateful for my eternal friends.
I'm grateful for my sisters.
  

   


3 comments: