Background

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I'm grateful for Diversity.
I have often wondered if we put everyone in the world in a single file line, based on how they look, how many people would look like me? There have been a few times in my life when someone I know has said, "You have to meet this girl, she reminds me so much of you!" And once one of my really good friends said, "I saw someone on campus today and totally followed them calling your name. When she turned around I was shocked it wasn't you." 
I can't help but wonder what these people look like. Why do they look like me or remind someone of me? How do I look in real life? How do I look 3-dimensionally? If you think about it, we are the only ones who have never really seen ourselves. We see our reflection, or videos or pictures or hear our voice on a recording (I can't stand to hear my own voice.) But, I have always hoped I look better 3-dimensionally... and to anyone who feels the same,
I really think we do.
It's amazing that we are all made of skin and bone and muscle and fat and eyes and ears and mouths and noses and yet we all look so different. Anyways - I have just always wondered how many of us in the world really look pretty similar. But onto the subject of this post. Diversity. 
I love Diversity. I love how it makes the world go round. Sometimes I think about a world in which everyone was like me. Oh what a crazy place to be. We would all be talking all the time and there would never be a moment of sleep and we would be trapped in a big ball of intense highs and lows. It would be insane. But if the whole world was like my husband, it would be a world of non-emotional silence, with some guitar rock-outs here and there. (We joke about our differences quite often.) We are all so different...and we are all so needed. During the Presidential race I kept thinking, "Who would ever want to be President?" Because I sure don't. I know there are plenty of people who couldn't stand being home with a child all day, or taking pictures for a living, or spending even one hour doing the things I enjoy doing so much. And there are plenty of things in this world I don't want to do and even more things that I just couldn't do. In a world full of me's we wouldn't have ever been to the moon, ever had cell phones or computers or restaurants or music or plumbing or electricity or probably even clothes and food. There are so many things I am just not good at or just not interested in doing. But I am so glad that somebody else is. I am SO glad for all our modern-day luxuries of warm showers and indoor plumbing and roads that stretch for hundreds of miles and airplanes to take me to see my family and internet to keep us in touch and someone to fix my washing machine and someone to take away my garbage and someone to kill and package my food and so on and so on and so on. The list is never-ending. To everyone out there who does things that I just can't...THANK YOU! And to everyone who accepts me for who I am and let's me just be me...no matter how crazy or intense that may become, I thank you.
There is a reason we are all so different and I am sure glad we all are!


By the way, can you tell what this is?
 

It's a little frog man! 
 
I found him hanging out on my house today and poked him with my shoe and he didn't move, so I assumed he was dead. But how would he be stuck to my wall if he was dead? Obviously, he wasn't. But he seemed much more alive once he started moving! 

2 comments:

  1. I don't want to be President either. And I have a lot of people tell me I look like someone they know. I must have one of those faces.
    And your little frog visitor is so cute! I seriously love frogs. I just think they are the coolest creatures. If that little guy was on my house I would catch him and keep him for a while. And maybe take him swimming in my pool. And we would be buddies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry I didn't catch the frog for you...I didn't realize I was ruining a friendship. ;) I'm sure he would have loved swimming, too. And yes, he was very cute. I loved how bright green he was!

      Delete