Background

Thursday, November 8, 2012

I'm grateful for my Dad.
He was the man of our house...literally. 5 daughters and 1 wife. 6 to 1, which really means 6 to 0. I love the quote from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, 
"The man is the head of the house, but the woman is the neck." 
Well, my dad has 6 necks. And it seems like most of our dogs were even female.
I remember so many people saying things like, "A house full of girls...your poor dad!" or "Your poor dad never got a boy" And my dad's response was always the same, "I wouldn't have it any other way."
 I always felt he was proud to be my dad. And I'm proud to be his daughter.
He helped me understand my divine importance as a daughter of God. He taught me how I should be treated as a woman. He taught me that God and Family come first. He often coached me in sports while growing up and the only thing I ever heard him yell was "Run faster!" during a basketball game. I remember when I was very young and our dog was hit by a car and killed. It was the first time I saw him cry. I remember him throwing me over his shoulder like a bag of sugar and carrying me to bed. I remember me and my sister fake sleeping when he was the tooth fairy one night. My mom would have known we were awake, but he didn't. I remember Father's blessings each year before school and other times in my life when needed. I remember sitting on our deck eating dinner as a family and my dad would lean back with his hands behind his head, smile and say, "This is Heaven." He has always provided a roof for my head, food for my mouth, clothes for my body, activities and camps and trips for fun and for learning. But most importantly, he was the priesthood leader of our home. He taught by the power of God. He blessed by the authority of God. 
He led by example and reached out with love. He helped me see the 
woman he knew I could be.
I love you, Dad. Thank you for all you have given to me.

1 comment: