Background

Thursday, October 18, 2012


The grass is always greener on the other side of my yard.
No, really, it is.
I didn't move to Texas expecting to have nice grass. In our yard we have what I call, Texas Grass. It's thick and crispy and not very comfortable to walk on. No big deal, we just wear shoes and it doesn't seem to matter. The funny part is, on the side of our yard that is farthest from our house, the grass is greener. It is a deeper green and even softer grass. The grass closer to our house is almost yellow in color and is definitely thicker and crispier. And the longer the grass is the more distinctly different the two sides are. It always makes me chuckle when I mow the lawn because they really are so different. 
But today I found a new surprise! There was another color in my grass. Purple. Just over a week ago I noticed little purple flowers growing in our grass. 
I thought it was a little weird but figured it was free flowers I could let my daughter pick and play with and didn't think much else of it. Today when I went out to mow the lawn, they were everywhere.
 They had spread through the whole yard. The weird part was, it was like they were their own little bush. As I looked closer I found they were attached to what I think looks just like the little vine branch things that grapes come attached to. 
It was like flower producing grapevines growing in my grass. Definitely not something I had seen before! (And too bad they didn't grow grapes, because that would save us a lot of money!)

Anyhow - I figured I would just mow over them and not worry too much about it. But after mowing 3 patches of these little wild bushes, I found that the flowers and vines were unaffected by the mower.
After mowing over it...

 I decided I would just have to weed my grass and pull the little bushes out. So I picked one of the smaller ones to start with and starting pulling. I was totally shocked at what came out.
One little section was actually a massive amount of vine and roots weaved throughout the grass and under the dirt. And unfortunately it left it's mark once pulled... 
 
 So I decided to not pull them all out and just mow the lawn and see what I can figure out before creating patches of dirt all throughout my yard. I may just start a flower shop. Anyone interested in little purple flowers?

P.S. If anyone has ever seen this or has any idea of what it is or how to get rid of it...please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. i don't know what it is, but we get it too and it drives jeff crazy the way it weaves itself into the grass.

    ReplyDelete