Background

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My daughter has been sick off and on since Christmas. It started with the stomach stuff, then the fever stuff, a hefty cold and now double ear infections. Then came the twist, her reaction to the antibiotic. As the mom, I feel responsible for doing everything in my power to help her get better as fast as possible. We have been to the doctor, on the phone with the doctor, on the phone with nurses and to the pharmacy several times. By tonight, I felt pretty helpless. Over the past few days I have been working over the phone with nurses to figure out how to best treat my daughters reaction. For the most part, I was left confused. I didn't totally trust the route they wanted to go and was left with a couple options. So I gave the over-the-counter meds a shot because I figured they would be a lot less expensive. By this afternoon the reaction was spreading and only getting worse. I knew something wasn't right. I knew what I tried wasn't working. I called the pharmacist and asked about the prescription and she told me to check with my doctor before picking it up. She wanted me to make sure this was the medication they really wanted to give her because she had never heard of using it in the way it had been prescribed. This only added to my concern. I couldn't get a hold of the doctor and figured I would head to the pharmacy while I was on hold. I couldn't let this go one more night. As soon as I parked the receptionist answered and listened to my concern. She took notes and told me the nurse would call back within 30 minutes. I hung up and my phone battery beeped, 'Battery Low.' This normally happens once...maybe twice before it shuts off. So there I was, waiting at the pharmacy, praying my battery wouldn't die. Over the next 2 hours it was back and forth between the pharmacist who was really concerned about giving my daughter the medication and the nurse who was trying to get a hold of the doctor who seemed frustrated I was concerned at all and my daughter who was uncomfortable and hungry. I felt like a terrible mom. Why had I waited? Why hadn't I just forked out the money and listened to the nurse? Why couldn't I feel okay about what they wanted to give her? Why was it spreading and why couldn't anyone give me an explanation of what was going on? Why did we all seemed concerned except the nurse? It was finally confirmed by the doctor that this was best to do and I headed back to the register to complete my purchase. I swiped my card and hoped it wouldn't be too expensive.
"Four dollars." The lady behind the registered stated. 
"What?" I thought. "Is she kidding me? Did she get the right prescription? Is that really what she said?" 
I moved closer to look at the total. $4. Right there on the screen. $4. I have NEVER in my life paid so little for a prescription. It had to be a joke. I actually chuckled to myself and gratefully signed the pad and breathed a sigh of relief. All the other prescriptions had been so expensive. But today, just $4. I felt like God was tapping me on the shoulder and saying, "I got your back." I hurried out of the store and called my husband while walking to the car. 30 seconds into our conversation my phone died. Normally that would frustrate me, but not tonight. I realized my phone had beeped 8-10 times warning me it was going to shut off. But it never did. I was able to wait and call and wait and call and it lasted the whole 2 hours. Once again, I felt that tap on my shoulder, "I got your back."
We headed for home. All my emotions seemed to push through my skin. I felt sad for my daughters discomfort. I felt small for not making it better. But more than anything, I felt grateful that I wasn't alone. I felt blessed for a $4 bill and a battery that didn't die. I knew these were my own little miracles. The kind I so often miss. As I pulled my daughter out of the car I held her tight against my face and gave her a gentle squeeze. 
"I love you so much." I said.
"I you too" she replied. "I you too." "I you too." "I you too."
She repeated it all the way into the house. It's like she knew I needed to hear it. Then I realized, she didn't think I was a terrible mom. She didn't hold it against me that I couldn't make it better. She just loved me and once again, 
everything was okay.
To my sweet daughter...
I hope this medicine works.


1 comment:

  1. Your concern and helplessness and doubt (and miracles) sound very similar to an experience I vividly remember having with M. She had a reaction to an antibiotic that was very scary. She had the regular flu, but the antibiotic she was prescribed caused her to lose all strength in her leg muscles -- she couldn't walk. She walked on her knees for two or three days. We called the pharmacy, her doctor, and had blood tests done and when we figured out what was wrong, she could walk! It was very scary to not know what was going on those few days and to trust that she would be okay. I'm so glad Eliza is okay and that God was watching over you. We have such big responsibilities as mothers and we absolutely cannot do our jobs alone -- we need husbands and we need a Heavenly Father. I'm so sorry that Eliza has been sick for so long! Hopefully this will be IT for awhile so you can rest and enjoy her wellness...Love you, Ashlee!

    ReplyDelete