Background

Monday, February 25, 2013

In the 30 years of my life I have heard the terms "Prepare" and "Food Storage" thousands of times. I have always taken it seriously. When we got married this was something my husband and I began to work on and have given much thought over the past 4 years. Then I had a baby and the need, the desire, to be prepared intensified. As the mother of my small family I have recently felt a great need to take the next steps in our emergency preparedness and food storage supply. I don't doubt that God is preparing us for times in the near or distant future. Only He knows what is ahead and only He can prepare us for the future. There are certain ways I feel very prepared for times of disaster or unemployment or accident or whatever it may be. In other ways, I feel completely unprepared. The list goes on and on of situations that could arise in which I would need to be prepared for... I can't focus on that. I can't worry and fear over what may come, because I simply can't control it. But, I can control the way I prepare. I can control the way I spend or save, the skills I learn and how to handle certain situations. I can't have a year's supply of food ready by tomorrow or next week or next month or next year. It's just too expensive and there is a lot of work to get to that point. But, I can add to it a week at a time, a month at a time...little by little. 
 As I have been researching my options, trying to figure out which direction to go, I have found so many possibilities. So many options, but which can I make work and which our best for my family? I don't doubt I will find the answers as I pray and sort through information and pray and get to work. BUT, I would love to hear from anyone on what knowledge or experience you have of food storage...whether it be what kinds of food you buy, how you store it, what ways you use foods (like wheat, oats, grains, etc) and what things you have found to help you along in your personal food storage and emergency supply. I have a lot of great resources, but I always love hearing people's opinions and advice on what has worked for them.

And if you are looking to work on your own food storage, I have several great resources I would be happy to pass along.

Here's a little video I recently watched and want to share:

No comments:

Post a Comment